Thanks to my friend Gabrielle for coming up with and sharing this vegan recipe that replicates the McDonald’s Egg and Bacon McMuffin minus all the cruelty and animal exploitation. All I can say is I’m lovin’ it!
Ingredients (makes 4 breakfast sandwiches)
- Food for Life Ezekiel 7-Sprouted Grains English Muffins (4)
- Tofurky Smoky Maple Tempeh Bacon (8 slices)
- Extra firm tofu (14 oz.), drained and patted dry
- Earth Balance vegan butter, to taste
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 2 Tbsp divided (1 T. for the tofu and 1 T. for the Tempeh Bacon)
- Daiya Provolone Slices (4)
- Garlic powder, turmeric, black pepper, and Mrs. Dash original blend, to taste
- Follow instructions on package to cook Tempeh Bacon. Meanwhile, turn block of tofu on its side and slice in half. Then lay flat and slice it in half again; season to taste with spices.
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a pan over medium heat; cook the tofu for 3 minutes on each side.
- Toast the muffin halves in toaster oven; then smear a little bit of vegan butter on each English muffin slice.
- Top one half of the muffin with tofu, 2 slices of bacon (cut in half) and a slice of cheese. Top with other half of muffin and bake at 375° until cheese melts (3 minutes).