I’ve been making smoothies each morning for breakfast for the past several months, mostly the same recipe that consists of spinach and fruit. As the weather becomes cooler, I’ll probably phase them out and switch to something warmer like oatmeal. But for now, while it is early autumn and still reaching temps in the 70s in Georgia, I decided to put a fun twist on my breakfast smoothie. To me, this smoothie tasted a little like pumpkin pie and gets me in the spirit for Halloween and Thanksgiving, which are both right around the corner! Smoothies are a great way to remain energized in the morning without the jittery feeling that coffee leaves. So, move over pumpkin spiced latte and make room for the pumpkin spiced smoothie!
- 2 bananas, cut in half-inch pieces
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 dashes of pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/8 cup Santa Cruz organic apple sauce
- 1 heaping tsp chunky no-salt-added peanut butter
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 heaping cups mixed frozen fruit
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened soy milk
- Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth. If you’d like to make it a little more frosty, place in the freezer for a few minutes.