Penne Pasta with “Meat” Sauce
- 1 lb. whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 green (or red) bell pepper, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 (28 oz) can of Cento tomato puree
- 1 (10 oz) container of Marjon tofu crumbles, original
- 1 tsp each of crushed red pepper, Italian seasoning, and dried parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped (optional)
- nutritional yeast or vegan Parmesan to top (optional)
- Start water to boil pasta; follow instructions on pasta box.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large pan. Add garlic, onion, bell pepper and zucchini, stirring occasionally until soft or about 3-4 minutes.
- Add tofu crumbles and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomato puree and spices, turn down heat and simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
- Serve sauce over pasta and top with “cheese” if desired.