Sweet Potato & Bean Burritos
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, finely diced (optional)
- 1 cup zucchini, finely diced (optional)
- 4 oz. or 1/2 cup baby bella mushrooms, diced with stems removed (optional)
- 1 (15 oz.) canned kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle seasoning
- 1 Tbsp prepared spicy mustard
- 2 tsp Bragg’s liquid aminos (or soy sauce)
- 1 large cooked, peeled and mashed sweet potato
- tip: to save on time, I microwave the potato on high for 6-8 minutes, or until soft
- 6 (10 inch) soft tortillas
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Daiya Cheddar cheese
- Tofutti Sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat, and sauté onion, garlic, red bell pepper, zucchini and mushrooms until soft. Stir in beans, and mash.
- Gradually stir in water and simmer for an additional 3-5 minutes after all the water has been added. If you’re impatient like me and you wind up dumping the whole cup of water too fast, then let it simmer for an additional 5 minutes or so, or until thickened.
- Remove from heat, and stir in the chili powder, cumin, mustard, Mrs. Dash and liquid aminos.
- Divide bean mixture and mashed sweet potatoes evenly between the tortillas (I like to layer the sweet potatoes first on the tortilla and then the bean mixture). Top with cheese.
- Fold up tortillas burrito style, and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 6 minutes in the preheated oven, and serve with salsa, guacamole and sour cream. Enjoy!
The idea for this recipe came from Addictive Sweet Potato Burritos Recipe.