Lime Orzo and Veggies
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup each of zucchini and squash, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 (8 oz.) package of sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup of fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 lime, cut in half
- 2 cups orzo
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped (or 1 (15 oz.) can of no salt added diced tomatoes, undrained)
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Stir in the garlic and orzo pasta; squeeze half of the lime in the pan; cook and stir until pasta turns a light, golden color, or about 5 minutes.
- Stir in zucchini, squash, red bell pepper and mushrooms; cook until vegetables soften, or about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach, tomatoes, vegetable broth, Italian seasoning and basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover, and simmer until almost all liquid is absorbed, or about 10 minutes.
- Add the parsley and squeeze the other half of the lime in the pan; stir.
- Remove from heat, cool slightly, and serve.